S.1501 legislation introduced; USCIS engagement on job creation

USCIS Engagement with Economics
Today USCIS held its “EB-5 Interactive Series: Expenses that are Includable (or Excludable) for Job Creation.” Here is my recording of the call. When USCIS publishes its summary, and when economists make comments, I’ll link to them here. I didn’t hear anything ground-breaking except for one point that looks inconsistent with written policy, and should eventually be recognized as wrong, so I’ll reserve my comments.
UPDATE: USCIS has posted “talking points” from this engagement.

New legislation introduced into the re-authorization debate
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) and Ranking Member Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) have introduced S. 1501 (American Job Creation and Investment Promotion Reform Act of 2015), legislation to reauthorize and reshape the EB-5 Regional Center program, and to change some aspects of the EB-5 program generally. UPDATE: Yesterday I posted a hasty rant on this bill, which I’ve decided to take down as reader response has encouraged me to look more carefully at the provisions before commenting. Take a look at the bill for yourself and see what you think. I may continue to revise this post with additional commentary.
Probably the best commentary so far on the bill is Two Key Senators Introduce Bill to Extend and Improve EB-5 Program By Stephen Yale-Loehr.

About Suzanne (www.lucidtext.com)
Lucid Professional Writing provides writing and editing services for businesses and scholars, and specializes in assisting clients to prepare business plans for filing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

9 Responses to S.1501 legislation introduced; USCIS engagement on job creation

  1. Jose Marigotus says:

    You express that there is no grandfathering in the new proposed bill. However, on page 65, line 16 (Section 4 g) it does state that this does not apply to projects and investors that had filed applications with the Secretary of Homeland Security before the enactment of the law. Something similar appears on Section 5 regarding the preapproval of RC projects.

  2. Han Jun Li says:

    A lot people did not notice a small provision in the new EB-5 re-authorization bill. It allows only 90% of the jobs created can be indirect. This means the remaining 10% will have to be direct jobs. This will make all the existing regional center projects non-compliant as none create any jobs directly. 😦

  3. Zoe Makhsous says:

    There is one exceptional news in the bill. It seems that the 2 year capital investment timeline instead of 2 year conditional residency is the requirement for I-829 petition. Investors can file I-829 as long as the capital has been invested for 24 hours and I-526 are approved. The whole immigration process will be shortened.

    “If the alien entrepreneur has sustained the actions described in paragraph
    (1)(A)(i) for at least a 24-month period before admission, the alien entrepreneur may file the
    petition under subsection (c)(1)(A) any time after such period and before admission for per
    manent residence.’’

  4. Wenzhen Gong says:

    i’m also concerned about the up to 90% indirect job creation. However, I didn’t find anything related to W-2 on the website provided by Han Jun or in the reform act itself..somebody told me that the EB-5 interactive Series by USCIS on 6/4 made clear that the direct job creation calculated from the economic models will end up being deemed indirect job creation..anybody can confirm that?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: